Thursday, 6 December 2012

Organic Terrace Garden

We, my husband Ranjit and I started small with a few herbs and roots, from there we ventured to ornamental plants and Bonsai's, eventually leading to Organic Vegetable gardening. I have always been excited to grow my own food, just that now its more of a necessity than pleasure, considering the fact that I still haven't located an organic vegetable store here in Kochi. If you know about one, please leave a comment with the details of the store, I would be eternally grateful.

The fruits are the result of Ranjit's love, care and his exceptionally good green thumb. The only effort that I took, was to have read this article, about this awesome initiative by the Kerala Government to provide the residents in cities with grow bags and seeds at subsidized rates. When I called the Horticulture Mission Perumbavoor, I was told that since I'm not living in a city, the scheme is not available to me. I was not going to give up coz I had a terrace and I knew that they had to include me in the scheme. I then called Kochi Horticulture Mission (For details contact: Agri-Horti Culture Society: 0484-2362738; Better Kochi Response Group: 9895404108.) and was told, if I register my name, I can go collect the plants on the date given by them from an address in Kochi town. Got myself registered and after three weeks, got 20 growbags full of potting soil and seedlings each of Ladys finger, tomato, brinjal, green chillies, beans (payar) and seeds for red spinach (cheera) (which we haven't planted yet).

Good news about Kerala becoming a completely organic state in 5years time. I just hope the plans actually work out...

These are a few pictures of our healthy Organic Terrace Kitchen Garden. :)



Tomato Flowers and baby Tomatoes
Growing Tomatoes
Tomato

Sweet Potato
Ladys Finger/Okra Flower
Ladys Finger/ Okra
Purple Brinjal Flower
Purple Brinjal
White Brinjal
Green Chilli
Green Chillies
Cabbage
( Payar )Beans flower
So if you are living in Kerala and have been considering terrace gardening call the Horticulture mission and get started. 

39 comments:

  1. love the cabbage :) so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures! I would love to try gardening in Kerala; here in the UK our season for things like tomatoes and peppers is so short!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you didi... its great to do gardening here coz the weather is almost similar throughout the year.. :)

      Delete
  3. Wow that's so cool! I would love to have my own organic vegetable garden, but I guess I'll have to wait till i have a home somewhere in the world ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow... I love the idea of growing my own food too! Wish to start it sometime soon, and this post of your is inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should start soon, once you get started its gonna keep u hooked... :)

      Delete
  5. WOW.....Awesome!!! How very nice to have your very own veg garden, that too an organic one!!!

    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  6. So you do know what a small tomato tastes like. No wonder why you were nodding your head when Amit kept comparing the wine with tomatoes...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are not the cherry tomatoes he was talking about.... I was nodding coz I've been trying to find seeds of cherry tomatoes.

      Delete
  7. roof top garden is just so good for our health.... ahh i missed the offer for 25 growbags when it was here in tvm.... ! keep greening that terrace...=D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey u should try contacting the horticulture mission there coz they keep restarting the scheme.

      Delete
  8. hi anisha, how beautiful your garden grows- every plant gives harvests...fresh own garden veggies always taste delicious. the natural veggie sweetness. happy holidays and happy new year to you and family

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely Post. Nice pics too.love it..
    Maha

    ReplyDelete
  10. lovely garden...

    those tomatoes look so good!

    I often buy organ veggies for my son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kumudha... I loved those tomatoes sooo much that I had to push myself to harvest them... I use to not buy even the available organic coz it was expensive. But now that I'm aware of the harmful effects of conventional veggies I don't mind spending extra, time effort n money to get Organic produce.

      Delete
  11. Very beautiful...kudos to you for not giving up. I bet it will all taste yum, I also plant tomatoes and few other veggies in summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nayana... Isn't it such a pleasure to see all the veggies grow :)

      Delete
  12. Having a garden of my own is a dream!! You have a beautiful Garden Anisha. Thoroughly enjoyed the post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nandita... I hope ur dream comes true...

      Delete
  13. What wonderful little plants..I am terrible at growing anything, but would like to try again. Its such a joy to see plants grow in your own garden and a wonderful initiative by the Kerala govt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Archana... u should keep trying, it will work.

      Delete
  14. They look so effortlessly perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your blog! I'm happy to follow you, you can visit my blog when you find time :)
    http://kitchenista-welcometomykitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi I'm from Chennai I need seeds will send me through courier 7299990969 plsdo call me

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi I'm from Chennai I need seeds will send me through courier 7299990969 plsdo call me

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi,
    Thanks a lot for sharing such a good source with all, i appreciate your efforts taken for the same. I found this worth sharing and must share this with all.
    online organic products chennai

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy organic gardening anisha your plants looks lovely..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great work..looks beautiful..
    much appreciated for the passion and hard work...n keep doing..
    Thanks for sharing such a useful information and pictures of your garden are so nice..

    Pradeep from Online Organic Store

    ReplyDelete

I'm grateful for the words of encouragement and valuable sugggestions.
Thank you for stopping by!

Cheers!
Anisha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...