Thursday, 22 September 2011

DIY Bangle Box

I googled for a Bangle box tutorial, hoping to find something I could link to my recycled bangle box. But couldn't really find anything quite similar to what I made. So here I am with a tutorial, if you want, you can make one for yourself. This also happens to be a recycle project for old boxes.

Though the idea was mine. It's only coz of Ranjit that I could make it practical. The first time I started out, I had no clue what rod to use. I would have never thought about PVC pipes. We had a few of them lying around, it was Ranjit who suggested that I use it. He helped me make the first one. Today when I told him that I needed to make more of them and take a few pictures for my blog, he said he would help. It turned out that he did all the work, while I took all the pictures. I'm so lucky to have such a wonderful husband.;)


Bangle Box Tutorial


Things I used:

  • Shoe box or a similar box
  • An old box or cardboard piece
  • Medium sized PVC pipe of the same length of the box
  • Hacksaw blade or a very sharp knife to cut the PVC pipe
  • Masking Tape
  • Scissors
  • Above all a loving n helpful husband like mine
How I did it:

1. Firstly, if you would like to make your box look good, go ahead and wrap the box in some nice paper and decorate it the way you want. You can also wrap up the PVC pipe if you wish. the first one I made I used old rough PVC pipes, so I just wraped them up with masking tape, so that its smooth for the bangles. The boxes I used are good enough, I didn't feel the need to wrap them.

2. Now that the box is ready, lets get to work. Take the cardboard or the rough old box and cut two pieces out of it.Each piece should have the same width of the box and twice the height. 
3. Fold each piece into half, length wise and try and fit it into the sides of the box. If it's not fitting right, you might want to chop off a little bit from one of  the sides and bottom.
4. Now take two 1inch wide and the length same as the width of the above pieces.


5. Now stick this in between the folded pieces with a masking tape like this.



6. Now tape the bottom of the pieces, and cut two slots at the top center to fit in the PVC pipe. Tape the extra piece, we don't want to cut it coz it adds support to the pipe.



7. Now simply place the two slotted cardboard pieces onto the sides of the box and fit in the pipe.


8.  Now you can hang your collection of bangles to turn the shoe box into the bangle box.
We made two, now all together I have three of them. And I know I'll need more! ;)

PS: I've tried my best to write the procedure clearly, and I hope the pictures would prove helpful. Still if you are confused about anything feel free to ask. Otherwise it's a very simple and quick project.

6 comments:

  1. i like making crafts.. and your bangle box looks great.. will definitely try this..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...really great idea. i like it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made one Anisha!thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you're planning on making another one, could you videotape it while you make it and then post the video on YouTube?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I'm grateful for the words of encouragement and valuable sugggestions.
Thank you for stopping by!

Cheers!
Anisha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...