Sunday, 26 February 2012

Plantain

27th February 2012

We had planted two of the plantains of which one didn't survive re potting and we replaced it with a new one. The bigger one which survived has been growing well. We keep trimming it's leaves to Keep it from growing taller. So far the strategy has been working fine.

Plantain 1 January, 2012

Plantain 2 January, 2012

27th August 2011

Since, I ventured into coconut bonsai, I also decided to try plantain bonsai. I've seen plantain Bonsai on my visit to Bonsai garden in Mysore.
 Interesting fact-bananas do not grow simply from seed. Man intervened long ago and crossed two varieties of African wild bananas, the Musa acuminata and the Musa baalbisiana, got rid of the many seeds that were an unpleasant presence, and improved the flavor and texture from hard and unappetizing to its present soft and irresistibly sweet flavor.

I found two shoots grwoing in my back yard. We carefully removed the two without harming the main plant.

It is important to plant them in well drained soil. I found two shoots growing in the back yard.Potted them with a soil mix- of sand, backyard soil and organic cow dung. They need a lot of fertilizing. Once I get new bonsai pots I'll repot these too.

3 comments:

  1. Wow. It's so strange to see the plantain in miniature form!
    Your blog reminds me of my mother, she adores gardening and because of her, my days spent in our garden are often the most calming days of all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Anisha. Visiting your blogs after a long time.
    Plantain in pots, seeing for the first time.. Good luck for your bonsai experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You are definitely an experimenter and a FUN one, too!

    I stumbled upon your blog through someone that you were following & I am so glad I did! You have interesting posts & great personality - I'm a new follower, now :)

    Lots of joy,
    Corrinne

    PS - If you are of the crafty nature, I would love to see you join us at Tuesday Alchemy: http://tuesdayalchemy.blogspot.com - we have a craft challenge every week with prizes :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm grateful for the words of encouragement and valuable sugggestions.
Thank you for stopping by!

Cheers!
Anisha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...